Re: [vile] Odd vileserv error

From: Brendan O'Dea
Subject: Re: [vile] Odd vileserv error
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2015 20:48:51 +1000

On 11 April 2015 at 19:00, Chris Green <address@hidden> wrote:
> All I have (I think!) is the following in my .vilerc :-
>
>     ~if &seq $progname "xvile"
>         perl "Vile::register 'dir', 'dir', 'Dir Browser', 'dir.pl'"
>
>         perl "Vile::register 'startserv', 'Vileserv::start', \
>             'Start Edit Server', 'Vileserv.pm'"
>         perl "Vile::register 'stopserv', 'Vileserv::stop', \
>             'Stop Edit Server', 'Vileserv.pm'"
>         startserv
>
>         store-procedure exitproc
>             stopserv
>         ~endm
>         set-variable $exit-hook exitproc
>         setv %vileserv-accept-commands true
>     ~endif

You may have a vileinit.pl floating about the place which is requiring
Vileserv, because what you have there won't work as-is.

You could try "strace -etrace=file xvile" to see which files are being opened.

Note that the difference b/w "require" and "use" is that the latter
invokes some initialisation, which in the case of Vileserv is to
register a bunch of commands including the hook, which in your case is
clearly not being registered.  It will also start the server, which
you may not want to happen all the time.

So either locate where it is being installed, or you can manually
register the hook in your .vilerc in the same way that you are doing
with "startserv" and "stopserv".

--bod