[vile] external commands and press return

From: hymie
Subject: [vile] external commands and press return
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2016 22:22:50 -0400

(I get the feeling I've asked this before, but I don't remember and
I can't find it.  So I'm sorry if I'm re-asking an old question.)

I have, in my .vilerc, an external command attached to a key:

=====
store-procedure baltiput
 ~force shell-command &cat "./baltiput " $cfilname
~endm
bind-key baltiput #b
=====

When I activate this command, the screen resets to where it was when
I first ran vile ... I get the output of the command followed by a
request to [Press return to continue]

When I active this command the next time, the screen resets to the
same place as before, except that [Press return to continue] is the
bottom line.  It isn't obvious whether this is from the current
invocation (because my command completed) or the previous invocation
(because my command is still running).

Ideally, it would be nice if this [Press return to continue] were removed
when I press return, so that it isn't there at all next time.  But failing
that, it would be nice if there was an indication that a new command is
running, and that the [Press return] line is not current.  Maybe
a blank line or two, just to emphasize that [Press return] is not the
last line and currently waiting for me to respond.

Thanks.

--hymie!    http://lactose.homelinux.net/~hymie    address@hidden