Re: [vile] On backspace (feature requests)

From: Steffen Nurpmeso
Subject: Re: [vile] On backspace (feature requests)
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2017 22:24:50 +0100

Fabien COUTANT <address@hidden> wrote:
 |Le Tue, 31 Oct 2017 20:17:27 -0400, Thomas Dickey a écrit:
 |> On Tue, Oct 31, 2017 at 07:47:38PM +0100, Steffen Nurpmeso wrote:
 |>> Fabien COUTANT <address@hidden> wrote:
 |[...]
 |[...]
 |>
 |> Oddly enough, the ^D and ^T used for this purpose aren't rebindable
 |> (unlike just about everything else).
 |
 |I think Steffen would remap something else to them, rather than the reverse.
 |
 |FWIW my vile/xvile at hand (9.8) accepts to remap BS to ^D for insert mode,
 |and it works (and when applied to normal characters it removes several at a
 |time, as expected and unwanted).
 |
 |:map! ^V^H ^V^D

":map! ^? ^D" works, contradicting the manual.  But like you say..

 |NB: Maybe there's a way to write a user function to backspace smartly over
 |chars and indent + meta-insert-bindings setting + key binding a "meta-key"
 |to that function + xmodmap-ping BS to that metakey, but that way it would
 |also void BS for other apps and I don't see any other possibility :(

complicated.  Maybe in winter i find some time and try to write
a macro which looks for spaces and uses ^D if appropriate, maybe
temporarily a real, normal backspace can be "injected" for the
other cases.  I have no idea yet if such works in vile, but what
you say does not make me pretty confident.
Thanks anyway!

--steffen