Re: [vile] Possible locations for vile.keywords

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] Possible locations for vile.keywords
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2018 15:52:46 -0400

On Wed, Aug 01, 2018 at 03:32:07PM +0100, Chris Green wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 01, 2018 at 12:45:50PM +0100, Brendan O'Dea wrote:
> > Tracing the execution of opening a file in cmode via "vile @filters.rc
> > foo.c" shows that the following files are attempted in order:
> >
> >   ./.vile.keywords
> >   ~/.vile.keywords
> >   ~/.vile/vile.keywords
> >   /usr/share/vile/vile.keywords
> >   ./.c.keywords
> >   ~/.c.keywords
> >   ~/.vile/c.keywords
> >   /usr/share/vile/c.keywords
> >
> > so ~/.vile.keywords should work.  Does it not?
>
> Yes, it does, I've just tried it.

"2:which-keywords cmode"

gives me this:

Show which keyword-files are tested for:
        cmode
(* marks found-files)

$cwd
  ./.c.keywords
$HOME
  ~/.c.keywords
  ~/.vile/c.keywords
$startup-path
* /usr/share/vile/c.keywords

> It hadn't occurred to me before to handle vile.keywords this way, much
> handier than the way I was doing it before.  It's the vile help file
> that pushed me towards the way I was doing it.  It was the references
> to COLORDIR that suggested that there might be a better way - and
> there is.
>
> Has the COLORDIR stuff been added to the help file fairly recently
> (like in the last few years!)?

no - Clark Morgan added it in 2000:

REV:1.465               vile.hlp            2000/01/13 11:41:02       cmorgan

   add a section on color basics, made several other small revisions.