Re: xvile as external editor for Joplin

From: Chris Green
Subject: Re: xvile as external editor for Joplin
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2021 08:58:38 +0100

On Thu, Apr 01, 2021 at 06:51:47PM -0400, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 01, 2021 at 04:49:57PM +0100, Gerard Lally wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > It is possible to edit notes in the Joplin notes app using an external
> > editor. Unfortunately, xvile freezes when I try to do so.
> >
> > joplinapp dot org
> >
> > No cursor, scrollbar or menus appear either. How to start troubleshooting?
>
> hmm - some library conflict, perhaps.  I'd make joplin run a shell script
> which calls the actual binary xvile, using the shell script to run strace
> (to see what files it opens, including the shared libraries).
>
> Making xvile fork on startup might be a workaround:
>
>       xvile -fork
>
> > I'm happy to edit using vile + xterm instead, if I know the magic formula!
>
>       xterm -e vile whatever

I wonder if this is related to the issue I had quite a while ago where
I wanted to fork/exec xvile from a firefox addon, the addon didn't
seem to be able to 'detect' xvile properly.

I ended up calling this (horrible) bash script from the firefox addon:-

    #!/bin/bash
    rm /tmp/xvlink
    ln -s $1 /tmp/xvlink
    cat $1 | xvile -fn 10x20 /tmp/xvlink