vrs-development

Re: [Vrs-development] thoughts

From: Bill Lance
Subject: Re: [Vrs-development] thoughts
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 12:56:38 -0800 (PST)

--- Tim Terlegård <address@hidden> wrote:
> What if I want some statistics of the performance of
> a remote server. I
> program my little Mobile Agent, I send it on the
> network. The Mobile Agent
> will go to the remote servier, be executed and stay
> on the remote server for
> a couple of hours. Every minute it collects an SNMP
> variable from the server
> and stores the value as a part of its state. When 8
> hours slipped by, the
> Mobile Agent walks back to where it came from and
> tells the administrator
> about the server performance during the day. The
> alternative is for the
> administrator to poll the SNMP variable every minute
> and save the values in a
> history. This increases both the need of computer
> power and the load on the
> network.

Assuming that the administrator has privilages on both
machines, how does this differ from simply executing a
resident monitoring program on the observed machine
that does exactly what the agent would do.  Then it
phones home with the answers?

> To me, you partly described Mobile Agents.
> "component webservice" you call it
> on the webpage. Are you sure this is just not
> another name for Mobile Agents?

Haha  .. not sure at all!  There are more damned names
and ancronymes crawling all over this stuff than I can
absorb.  I certainly hope that parts, if not all, of
what we are working through has been though of enough
to give us guidance.  If thinking about 'Mobil Agents'
casts a light on our design problem, excellant!

> > However, at this point, the thinking about
> DataSets is
> > very embyonic and it needs a lot of attention that
>
> Does DataSet have a widespread definition or is the
> definition local to this
> project?

So far, just within this project.  I presume there are
areas of research that encompass what we are thinking
about.  That would be most helpful.

> >  We are creating the specs before we build.
>
> Didn't someone recently mention a perl module?  :-)

Yes.  We plan to prototype the system in perl.  But we
do not anticipate perl as the final working
environment.

> Well, I don't know what value you want   :-)
> What comes to my mind (because of the similar
> project goals) is that VRS
> could be a platform supporting p2p, mobile agents,
> vpn, fault tolerance,
> replication, distribution of power and space. SEE
> builds (whatever they want)
> on top of this, because everything you possibly
> could want is right there.
> This I'd like, but it may not be what you guys want
> or what DotGNU wants.

That doesn't sound inconsistant at all with what we
are thinking about.  Do you see any basic archectural
problems in the docs so far in designing all of this?