w3-dev

[W3-dev] Re: url-http.el breaks Emacs/W3

From: Magnus Henoch
Subject: [W3-dev] Re: url-http.el breaks Emacs/W3
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 10:24:20 +0300

"T. V. Raman" <address@hidden> writes:

> I finally  got a little more detail on where this breakage is
> occuring.
>
> Symptoms:
>
> If you use Emacs/w3 and use the URL package out of Emacs CVS you
> hit an error on sites that do a redirect e.g. http://sf.net
>
> The error is very difficult to track down because it's being
> thrown from the w3 site in w3-fetch-callback.
>
> But I have verified that the problem appears to be  isolated in
> url-http.el, i.e. if you use  package url out of Emacs 22 CVS,
> and load url-http.el by hand from William Perry's original CVS
> snapshot on savannah, then everything works correctly.

As far as I can see, the problem is that the interface of
`url-retrieve' changed, but W3 wasn't adapted.  I have been seeing the
same problem, and have been using the patch below with good results.

The patch is less complicated than it looks; most of it is changed
indentation.  I have sent this to w3-devel as well.

Magnus