wdiff-dev

Re: [wdiff-dev] Per-character branch status

From: Martin von Gagern
Subject: Re: [wdiff-dev] Per-character branch status
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2011 22:24:04 +0100

On 09.12.2011 00:20, Ilya Sabanin wrote:
> I noticed there's a branch in the repository with per-character mode
> implemented for wdiff. I compiled it and looks like it's in working
> condition. I wonder what's the status of that branch? Why it never got merged
> into trunk?

https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?7121 has most details about that branch.
It works for UTF-8 files which don't use combining marks. I would have
liked to see support support both for encodings other than UTF-8 as well
as for glyph-splitting instead of char splitting.

On the other hand, I had hoped to give wdiff a proper rewrite by now,
including a lot of improvements I have in mind. As that hasn't happened
due to lack of time, and as it won't happen any time soon either,
perhaps I should simply merge and release that branch, including a fat
warning in the man page as to its limitations so noone will expect too
much from it.

Martin