web-hurd

Re: Server-side scripts?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Server-side scripts?
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 10:13:02 -0700 (MST)

    What types of server-side scripts are considered okay?

    For example, can I use <!--#include "..."--> statements?  Is php3 enabled
    by default?

It is ok to use a macro processor and install the output as the web
page that will be sent to the mirrors.  That way, the macro processor
only needs to run on our machines; the mirrors don't have to know
about it.

It might be ok to have a small number of pages that are not used on
mirrors and are served only by www.gnu.org.  We could arrange this
simply by making the links to them specify `http://www.gnu.org/'
explicitly.  These pages would still get sent to the mirrors, but the
mirror copies of these pages would not be used.

We could do this for things like pages that access a data base.  But
we should only do it when really necessary.  It would make no sense to
handle ordinary pages of text this way.