wget-dev

Re: [Wget-dev] wget2 | GSoC'18: Support DNS over HTTPS - Discussions (#3

From: Aniketh Girish
Subject: Re: [Wget-dev] wget2 | GSoC'18: Support DNS over HTTPS - Discussions (#378)
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2018 14:44:22 +0000

> I admit, I am not into the DoH spec. As I understood from your writing(s),
> the DOH server response has DNS wire format in its body (if not, forget all
> the above about ns_ functions).

Yes, the server sends the IPv4 or IPv6 address of the host hex coded. You can
try verifying it from the above link I send you.

> I could look it up and tell you, but you can also look up yourself ;-) (look
> up = search the web).

Thanks for the support. But I will take care of it. Else what is the fun in
this :D. I just read more about our reponse from the DOH server - the best part
of DOH is that the there's really no difference - that's one of the main points
with DoH. A DoH server will respond with a body that is identical to a response
from your typical DNS server RFC 1035 describes the layout of that response.

So, I just need to take the response buffer from the HTTP body and use the lib
resolv to get it done. If you think I am wrong - do let me know.

https://gitlab.com/gnuwget/wget2/issues/378#note_96732620