wget-dev

[Wget-dev] RFC - adding the possibility to trust the proxy for https

From: Davide Baldo
Subject: [Wget-dev] RFC - adding the possibility to trust the proxy for https
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2019 11:59:21 +0000 (UTC)

Hello,

I would like to add an option to wget to allow the possibility to trust the
proxy even for https request, without relying on a CONNECT.

For examples these are the requests towards a proxy server:

Current behaviour for plain http:
 - GET http://www.example.com/archive.tar HTTP/1.1

Current behaviour for encrypted https, the proxy is only used as a socket
passthrough:
 - CONNECT www.example.com:443 HTTP/1.1

Wanted behaviour, (enabled with something similar to --trust-proxy-for-https):
  - GET httpS://www.example.com/archive.tar HTTP/1.1

This would allow caching on the proxy, mostly for automated builds without
having to locally mirror all https sources. I would like to hear your opinions
on this proposal, I'm aware this flag may very well "break" the very goal of
https in certain circumstances but I would like to point out that alternatives
are either time-consuming or insecure (such as downgrade to http).

Thanks,