wget-dev

Re: wget2 | Implement support for QUIC [question] (#553)

From: @rockdaboot
Subject: Re: wget2 | Implement support for QUIC [question] (#553)
Date: Sat, 22 May 2021 13:02:37 +0000

Tim Rühsen commented:

Hi @momoka0122y :smiley:
Please excuse my delayed answer.

So yes, nobody is working on QUIC or HTTP/3 right now. And to see this in Wget2
would be awesome.

I admit, I didn't look into these protocols for a while. So there are some
questions for me:
Is the final HTTP/3 RFC out now ? I was hesitating at that time as the protocol
was still in draft.
Does it make sense to have QUIC without having HTTP/3 ? (Can we transport
HTTP/1.1 or HTTP/2 over QUIC ?).
Or does it make sense to inplement HTTP/3 - and for that we also need QUIC ?

If you decide to work on it, it would be good if you come up with a rough plan
(maybe some kind of design doc), that we can discuss. It also helps to stay in
sync when we e.g. decide to refactor the existing code. In such cases I would
contact or the other way round: if you need refactorings of existing code, let
us know.

There are possible a bunch of technical questions you might have. Maybe we can
use this issue for questions, so anybody else can join in. But please also feel
free to contact me on matrix or via email.

https://gitlab.com/gnuwget/wget2/-/issues/553#note_582502625