ww-tedit-dev

[ww-tedit-dev] function names highlighted with a separate color

From: petar marinov
Subject: [ww-tedit-dev] function names highlighted with a separate color
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 16:47:00 -0800

I managed to complete a working version of the editor highlighting function names in special color. This is at the expense of strings which I turned back to the yellow of the text. That allows me to keep the number of colors simultaneously shown on the screen to 4, +1 when there are preprocessor directives. I have to admit that 5 different colors is a bit irritating, seems like we reach what is the comfortable maximum.

The other limiting factor is how many light colors are harmonious to the current background. It turns out that only a selection of 5-6 colors allows for a pleasent palette over the blue.

Navigating with PgUp/PgDown shows the purpose of defining function names with special colors. The eyes adapt to look for this light blue color instead to scan for the specific text pattern that shows a new function. Now with almost no movement of the eyes I can spot if there is a new function boundary on the screen. This human ability for fast and relatively less expensive for the brain and the eye scan of the text is the very ergonomic effect I sought.

I have to put a bit more work into it.

-petar

JPEG image