www-tr-comm

[www-tr-comm] Fwd: Ambiguity and Mistranslation

From: The FLOSS Information
Subject: [www-tr-comm] Fwd: Ambiguity and Mistranslation
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2019 16:18:51 +0300

-------- İletilen mesajın başlangıcı --------
28.12.2019, 09:00, "The FLOSS Information" <address@hidden>:

The FLOSS Information:
"Once upon a time, many years ago, I thought I would learn Perl. I got a copy of a free manual, but I found it hard to read. When I asked Perl users about alternatives, they told me that there were better introductory manuals—but those were not free."

https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-doc.en.html

In what sense was the last word used in the sentence?
Richard Stallman:
[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies, ]]]

> "Once upon a time, many years ago, I thought I would learn Perl. I got a
> copy of a free manual, but I found it hard to read. When I asked Perl users
> about alternatives, they told me that there were better introductory
> manuals—but those were not free."

> https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-doc.en.html

> In what sense was the last word used in the sentence?

"Free" here refers to freedom. The following paragraph
explains that:

Why was this? The authors of the good manuals had written them for
O'Reilly Associates, which published them with restrictive
terms&mdash;no copying, no modification, source files not
available&mdash;which exclude them from the free software
community.</p>

--
Dr Richard Stallman
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://gnu.org, https://fsf.org)
Richard Stallman:
[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies, ]]]

> Turkish translation is incorrect. This word has not been translated into a
> word about freedom on the Turkish page.

Thanks for reporting this.

I just checked in changes that make the meaning of "free" in that part
explicitly clear.

I think a little adjustment is
> needed. Can I share the message with someone else?

Please write to address@hidden
and cc me.

--

-------- İletilen mesajın sonu --------