wxruby-dev

[Wxruby-dev] RE: about wxruby

From: Curt Hibbs
Subject: [Wxruby-dev] RE: about wxruby
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2002 03:40:02 -0800

Great! We could definitely use help as both Bob and I (the only two people
on the project) are also working on the FreeRIDE project (plus regular work,
family, etc.) -- so we are spread pretty thin.

The wxRuby project wiki is at: http://www.wxruby.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl.
However, at present, this is mostly a shell of a project site with very
little in the way of real content.

and the wxRuby CVS repository and mailing list are on Savannah (you can find
the mailing list at:
http://savannah.nongnu.org/mail/index.php?group=wxruby).

A brief history:

- Bob Calco started wxRuby.
- I later joined Bob.
- Park Heesob donated a partially working port of wxPython (uses SWIG).
- The project was put on hold in Oct to focus on the FreeRIDE release.

Bob and I wanted to avoid using SWIG interface files by having SWIG just
read the wxWindows header files. This would minimize the effort required for
ongoing maintenance as new versions of wxWindows were released.
Unfortunately, SWIG was not sophisticated enough to be able to do this and
manually created interface files were found to be necessary.

It looks like Cable might be able to do this. If so, we would drop the
SWIG-based work and start over with Cable. But, neither Bob nor I have yet
had the time to check this out.

So, if you're interested, you could investigate Cable (try it out) and help
us determine if this is viable.

Curt