xbindkeys-devel

[Xbindkeys-devel] About xbindkeys

From: Philippe Brochard
Subject: [Xbindkeys-devel] About xbindkeys
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 21:13:39 +0200

From: Zaskar <address@hidden>
Subject: About xbindkeys
To: address@hidden
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 07:24:04 -0800 (PST)

Hello. First of all congratulations for the great sofware you provide. It's
really very usefull. But I'm writing because I have a problem with it. The
problem is that when I press certain key the keyboard stop working for the rest
of the desktop.
I have a laptop and I've modified some X files and added some setkeycodes to my
rc.local in order to map some special keys like the key for toggling beetwen
lcd and external screen, the suspend key, multimedia keys and the key that has
a battery draw on it. I've been using those key for shortcuts with kde menu for
a while, but now I'm trying to make those shortcuts desktop independent. So
I've downloaded and setted up xbindkeys. But when I press the battery key the
rest of the programs stop responding to keyboard, but xbindkeys still works
perfectly. I've run xbindkeys in verbose mode and I realised that it detects
the key press event but not the release event. This only happens with that key
(other special keys works perfectly)... And if I don't assign this key to any
action in .xbindkeysrc I can press the key and nothing bad happends...
This what I see when I use that key in verbose mode
   e.xkey.keycode=241
   e.xkey.state=16
   "/opt/bin/battery osd"
       XF86Launch2
   got screen 0 for window 13a
   Start program with fork+exec call
   Catch CHLD signal -> pid 3965 terminated
My system configuration, if it helps, is: Dell Inspiron 1420, a distro based on
Slackware 12.0 (I say based 'cause I've modified lot of thing and updated many
programs and libraries),  kernel 2.6.24-4-smp (compile from a vanilla source),
KDE 3.5.7,  Xorg 11 rev 0 release 1.3, xbindkeys 1.8.3.
Do you have any idea about what can be happening?... If you want me to
reproduce that and to obtain some extra debug information you can tell me, I'm
a programmer, so I cant do that.
If that works I'm interested in developing some little gui for configuring
those bindinds and showing the help in a more graphical way. It would by the
momento only fit my needs and my view of how should it be shown, but if you
like that (and there isn't something similar and better.... is there?) it could
be my little contribution. I usually write those things with wxWidgets, unless
you like the idea and prefer something else (I've have experience with pure
gtk, and I'd like to start learning QT and it could fit as first project).
Anyway, thanks a lot for the program and your time. I'll wait for your answer.
Pablo Novara.