xbindkeys-devel

[Xbindkeys-devel] Mapping a mouse-button to alt+mouse1 (with xte)

From: Jeremy Nickurak
Subject: [Xbindkeys-devel] Mapping a mouse-button to alt+mouse1 (with xte)
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2011 08:30:22 -0600

I'd really like to have one of my high-index mouse buttons, in this
case 8, mapped to Alt-mousebutton1.

As long as button 8 is down, it should be like I'm holding alt and
button 1. When button 8 is released, both alt and button 1 should come
up (possibly in a specific order).

What I tried:

"xte 'keydown Alt_L' 'mousedown 1'"
   b:8
"xte 'mouseup 1' 'keyup Alt_L'"
   release+b:8

This doesn't quite seem to work though. It seems like the "release"
doesn't catch because "Alt" is held down, which results in the
button/key getting stuck. I tried to work around that:

# Attempt at raise+drag
"xte 'keydown Alt_L' 'mousedown 1'"
   b:8
"xte 'mouseup 1' 'keyup Alt_L'"
   Alt+release+b:8

That seams to work around the getting-stuck problem, but still doesn't
seem to pass events through to the WM right.

Any suggestions?