xbindkeys-devel

[Xbindkeys-devel] A small issue with xmodmap and xbindkeys

From: Klaus Brinkmann
Subject: [Xbindkeys-devel] A small issue with xmodmap and xbindkeys
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 19:09:39 +0100

I'm not sure if this of interest to any of the developers, but I wanted to share the following experience in any case. I tried the following on a small handheld linux-device called "Open Pandora". That's why I am speaking of "shoulder-buttons".

I noticed a slight incompatibility related to the combination of xbindkeys and xmodmap. If you bind a key to be used by xbindkeys and modify that key with xmodmap while xbindkeys is running, then the key is still bound and can not be used. Just running "xbindkeys -p" does not help. You have to kill/restart xbindkeys.

Example:
I wanted to run a program by pressing the left shoulder-button. Also I wanted to be able to quickly change the configuration between starting that program that way and using the button as Shift_R (the default). For that I configured xbindkeys to start the program when F20 is being pressed. Of course that key does not physically exist. But I planned to quickly change the function of the left shoulder-button from Shift_R to F20 by using xmodmap. It works the one way: While xbindkeys is running, I set it to F20, run "xbindkeys -p" and can launch the program by pressing the shoulder-button. But when I set the button-mapping back to Shift_R, then neither the program is being launch on triggering the button, nor the Shift_R-function works. "xbindkeys -p" does not help. "killall xbindkeys" makes it work again.
Maybe there are better ways of solving my plans anyway.

Something different would it be possible to include a function into xbindkeys that only runs the program specified in .xbindkeysrc if a certain windows is focused? If not focused then the key should be unchanged and not completely deactivated. A more advanced version of this would be to be able to configure the same keycombination with different results for different, focused windows.

Lomaxx