xboard-devel

Re: [XBoard-devel] Future plans

From: h.g. muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] Future plans
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2009 14:30:52 +0200

> Ok. I was always under the impression that the aim was to create some generic mechanism by which the user
> would be unaware that PG is being used internally to handle UCI engines. Apparently
> this was a communication problem.

Well, this is a good goal, but I just don't see how you could do it in this case.
The fact that two versions of the same engine can co-exist is only because
Polyglot allows it. With native WinBoard engines this would not be possible.
The user would either have to install it under a different name of the executable,
or in a different folder.

I guess UCI engines could mimic that by using the -fd argument in the path
of the settings file. But it is an ugly kludge in the first place, so I am not sure
it is worth mimicking. To make it possible in the scheme where Polyglot would
derive the ini-file name from what the engine reports, it would need a new argument
SettingsPath to make that possible. The default for this would then be _PG,
but WB could use the adapterCommand

meaning that the settings files will always be stored with the engine.