xboard-devel

Re: [XBoard-devel] Working towards a 4.6.0 release

From: Arun Persaud
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] Working towards a 4.6.0 release
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2012 15:32:41 -0800

Hi

>> there was the issue of renaming chess program to chess engine... I
>> started this in a separate branch called engine. Would be good if
>> people could read through the diffs and test it.
>
> Ah, yes. I am not in favor of such unneccesary changes, and they are
> more relevant to translations than to the English version.

I don't view improving translation as an unnecessary change...

> People can
> already translate themeu items any way they want; that does not require
> anyy change in the English menu texts.

true, but having a consistent english version seems to be a valid effort.

> Engine is in fact a rather ridiculous term, and it translates very
> poorly in most languages. (E.g.in German you used Schachprogramm, in
> Dutch I use the abbreviation Schaakprog, for lack of a good translation.
> Arena uses 'Motor' in German, [...]

according to Tim "engine" seems to be what is used though as a standard
in english... if there are other standards in other languages it just
needs to be translated correctly... translating it literally to "motor"
in German is just plain wrong ;)

> If we change it, I would be in favor of using 'AI-module' rather than
> 'Engine'. But that is as good a reason not to change it as any...

the problem there is that probably most people wouldn't know what is
meant unless the term AI-module is used a lot, but I haven't really
heard it before...

ARUN