xboard-devel

Re: [XBoard-devel] XBoard

From: Tim Mann
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] XBoard
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2018 21:10:28 -0700

I am involved in the project but personally am not actively working on it.

I don't know if you "have to" use XBoard on a Mac. I am not a Mac user and don't know if there are other options for a chess GUI on Mac. I have no idea how well XBoard works on Mac currently.

Your program does not have to be open source to work with XBoard.  Chess engines interact with XBoard over a pipe or network connection. They don't even dynamically link with it, much less statically link. So the GPL does not require an engine that works with XBoard to be open source.