xboard-devel

RE: Requesting Variant added

From: h . g . muller
Subject: RE: Requesting Variant added
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2021 17:55:44 +0000

XBoard is already highly configurable to the rules it applies (board size, how pieces can move, etc.). This configuration can even be done automatically by an engine. So unless your variant has very unusual rules, chances are that no modification to XBoard is needed at all to play the variant.

If the rules are very unusual, it might be very difficult to program them into XBoard. In that case it would become a question whether the effort is worth it.

In other words: not much can be said about this without knowing the rules of the variant.

H.G.