[XForms] RE: xforms & dual screen

From: nick Nieuwkoop
Subject: [XForms] RE: xforms & dual screen
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 12:30:32 +0200

>Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 22:14:01 +0200
>From: Jens Thoms Toerring <address@hidden>
>To: Development with and of XForms <address@hidden>,
> address@hidden
>Subject: Re: [XForms] xforms & dual screen
> <mailto:address@hidden>
>Sender: address@hidden
>
>Hi Nick and Jens,
>
>On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 03:39:33PM +0200, nick Nieuwkoop wrote:
> > We are currently working on an application that needs to use dual
> > screen. This application runs on a FreeBSD OS and uses XForms to
> > create forms and show these. We have encountered a problem and we
> > cannot show any form on the second screen. Is this possible with
> > XForms or do we need some sort of work-around with X-Server or
> > something else.. Is anybody using Xforms on a dual screen layout.
> > Thanks in advance for your help. Please send reply to
> > address@hidden as well. Many thanks in advance.
>
>To be honest I have never had a dual-screen setup so I have also
>no good idea how it's done and what has to considered for such
>a setup. So take everything write in the following with a big
>grain of salt.
>
>As far as I can see XForms opens a single display, if no '-display'
>option is given and the 'DISPLAY' environment variable isn't set
>it's alwys :0.0 (i.e. the first screen). All windows then get
>opened on this display. So if you want all forms to be opened
>on the secondary monitor you might have more luck when starting
>the program with an option of '-display :0.1'. I don't see a way
>to use both displays at once from a single XForms program when
>the displays have different "names" (i..e :0.0 and :0.1) - I don't
>even know if it's possible to move a window from one to the other
>screen and I fear that, if it's possible, there could be some
>issues with e.g. menus or popups coming up on the wrong screen
>afterwards.
>
>Could you send me a bit more of information what you can and
>can't do? Also some information about your setup, what method
>you are using etc. might be helpful. But I wouldn't be too
>surprised if an XForms program would have problems using both
>monitors at once...
> Best regards, Jens
>--
> Jens Thoms Toerring ________ address@hidden

Dear Jens,

We have an application that runs with XForms. When we add or remove lines of code that should be controlling the xServer, nothing happens. From this we figured out that xForms is ‘controlling’ the xServer.

 Besides this application we have been able to show in  standard Xwindows forms  “hello world” in two different size windows, one on the first screen and the other one on the second screen. This uses the xServer library directly. So we know the configurations are correct. Also this confirms that it is definitely possible to use both screens.

Also the current application has used threads before, where one thread handles the input of the buttons from xForms(the callbacks), while the other thread controls the other forms shown on the screen. Would it be possible to use a thread for each screen, maybe even for each form or will this have no effect on the use of the screens.

Regards, Nick & Jens

Rulive: De nieuwste tips en tricks voor de echte messenger fan.