xforms-development

Re: [XForms] file selector with callback

From: Jens Thoms Toerring
Subject: Re: [XForms] file selector with callback
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 18:00:13 +0200

Hi Michal,

On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 03:22:23PM +0200, Jens Thoms Toerring wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 06:41:44AM +0200, Michal Szymanski wrote:
> > I am a bit confused by the behavior of the file selector with a callback
> > defined. I got confused playing with demos while giving a try to the
> > newest version, 1.0.93sp1, namely "pmbrowse" which, when a directory is
> > double-clicked, prints out an error message (as a directory like ".." is
> > not a recognized xpm/xbm file, surely) but the file selector does not
> > change the list of files. Only when I click "Dismiss" button, it shows
> > the directory I changed to. Is that the expected behavior? If so,
> > how should the callback react to returned file being a directory to get
> > the file selector refreshed without having to click Dismiss.

As I already wrote at least to me it looks to that selecting a
directory should be handled by the program when in callback-mode,
e.g. by simply calling fl_set_directory() (or do whatever else
may make sense in that situation).

So I changed things so that (in callback-mode):

a) The directory name is now passed back to the program
   tha invoked the file selector
b) The 'Dismiss" button got renamed to "Close" and isn't
   a FL_RETURN_BUTTON anymore but a FL_NORMAL_BUTTON.
   It gets triggered by e.g. the <ESC> key.
c) When you press <RETURN> with a line selected in the
   browser this file (or directory) name gets passed
   back to the calling program.

This should take care of problems for users that don't want to
double-click the mouse:

> > BTW, It seems to me rather strange that a "callbacked" file selector
> > does not have "Return" button and text input field for entering file
> > name from the keyboard. While the latter is arguable, the lack of Return
> > button may be a real problem for users who have problems with operating
> > the mouse (double click being the only way to select a file).

You can now select a file (or directory) with the up- and down
arrow keys and get it passed back to the caller with <RETURN>.

Concerning the missing input field: We had an input field in
older versions but it never had any effect at all for a file
selector in callback mode, and that's why I threw it out. That
it couldn't do anything was because the "Dismiss" button was
triggered by <RETURN>, so there was no event at which anything
from that input field could have been returned to the caller.
I am now considering to enable it again and return it's con-
tent (unless it's empty) back) to the caller when <RETURN>
is pressed (if it's empty but something is selected in the
browser I would return what's selected in the browser). Does
that sound reasonable?
                           Best regards, Jens