Re: [XForms] new xforms components

From: Jens Thoms Toerring
Subject: Re: [XForms] new xforms components
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 21:30:35 +0200

Hello Oskar,

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 11:58:33AM -0700, Oskar Leuthold wrote:
>    I have been working on an improved version of Xoskope  (
> http://xoskope.sourceforge.net), which is using the 2002 version of the
> xforms library. I have added two new GUI components, and I want to release
> the source code of the new version Xoskope under GNU and the xforms library
> under the appropriate license.

That sounds interesting!

> I am not a programmer, therefore I am asking here for guidance on how to
> proceed with releasing the updated xforms library.

Of course you could release your own version of the Xforms
library if you feel like it and you use the a license com-
patible with the one of the original version you derived it
from. On the other hand it may be of advantage if you would
consider to have your changes integrated into the "main
branch". This might take a bit of work since there was a
number of changes since the version from 2002 but perhaps
it's not a big obstacle. You could send me the patches (or a
complete version with some information about what you did
change) and I would take a look and, given that there are
no real show-stoppers, could try to do the integration. Then
the new components would become available with the next re-
lease of Xforms and you wouldn't have to maintain your own
branch of the library.

But note that I would like to refrain from making promises
on how fast I could do the integration before having had a
good look at what it may involve-;)

Or do you feel comfortable with trying to adapt things your-
self for the current XForms version, maybe with a bit of
help should it be needed?
                             Best regards, Jens