Re: [XForms] fdesign created c files, invalid conversion

From: Jens Thoms Toerring
Subject: Re: [XForms] fdesign created c files, invalid conversion
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 23:16:08 +0200

Hi Rouben,

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 05:03:19PM -0400, Rouben Rostamian wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 10:52:35PM +0200, Jens Thoms Toerring wrote:
> > Unfortunately, not at the moment. I will change fdesign so
> > that the cast is automatically added to allow compilation
> > with C++ compilers (I took that out quite some time ago,
> > not considering that people might use C++ compilers, and
> > nobody complained until now;-)
>
> I don't see why you should change fdesign to accommodate people
> who misuse it.  Fdesign generates C code which is expected
> be compiled with a C compiler.  Let those who try to compile
> it with C++ or Cobol suffer the consequences.

Hmmm, since the documentation claims that XForms also works
with C++ people may assume that a C++ compiler can also be
used to compile the files generated by fdesign with a C++
compiler. And I personnaly feel that it's better to make
that rather simple change, actually reverting to the old
behaviour, than to frustrate them. And as far as I can see
this is all that's needed - things would be different if we
now also would have to do memory allocation using new etc.;-)
Or do you know of any C compiler that would complain about
unnecessary casts? That would definitely change the situation!

                            Best regards, Jens