Re: [XForms] Dennis Ritchie is dead

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [XForms] Dennis Ritchie is dead
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 20:23:33 -0400

On 10/13/2011 06:32 PM, Jens Thoms Toerring wrote:
Hi,

   this is a bit off-topic for this mailing list but
since XForms has it's root deeply both in Unix and C
please bear with me:

Dennis M. Ritchie, together with Ken Thompson one of
the "fathers" of Unix, the creator of C and co-author
(with Brian Kernighan) of probably one of the best
programming books ever, "The C Programming Language",
has died.

I think not only we as Unix and C programmers owe him
a real lot. There are very few people whose work, in a
positive sense, that much influenced my life - and rather
likely that of thousands and thousands of others - as his.
Learning and using C and Unix has been and still is an
immense source of fun to me.

My thoughts are with his family and friends.

                      Best regards, Jens
Yes, if there ever was a giant upon whose shoulders we all stand, Dennis Ritchie was surely one of them.

I haven't seen Dennis in over 20 years, but on the few occasions that I met him, and had a couple of beers with him, he seemed like a genuinely-nice person, and the most unassuming "giant" one could ever possibly meet. The entire IT/Software/Technology industry owes him a debt of gratitude so insanely large, and yet 99.9% don't even know who
  he is.

The news of his death has affected me personally today. Not only because I've actually met the man, but because I learned C and Unix "back in the beginning" (1979). My life has been utterly shaped by having lucked into a job in 1979 where I got
  to learn C from "The C Tutorial", and program on Unix systems.

Goodnight, curly-braces man.  You'll be missed.

--
Marcus Leech
Principal Investigator