Re: [XForms] XForms failure after upgrading to Fedora 19

From: Bill Unruh
Subject: Re: [XForms] XForms failure after upgrading to Fedora 19
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 11:21:05 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 14 Jan 2014, Jens Thoms Toerring wrote:

Hi David,

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 03:10:57PM -0800, David Scriven wrote:
That, of course, does not explain why the GNOME manager exhibited
such strange behaviour - and it may apply to an upgraded GNOME, not
a freshly installed one - perhaps you could check?

I guess I've solved the problem. Gnome sends, just when the
first window has been opened, a XClientMessageEvent for some
'_XIM_PROTOCOL' (something to do with input media and inter-
nationalization) that is addressed to a different window.
Since XForms doesn;t know anything about this window it has
to assume that the program using the library had opened some
window on its own and thus passes the event on, which in
the end results in fl_do_forms() returning a dummy object
that's meant for just such situations (i.e. for programs
that open their own windows and thus deal with the events
these windows receive by themselves). But, of course, no
extra windows had been opened an nothing was expecting this
strange event. I've now changed things that the very first
event sent this way, if it's of the '_XIM_PROTOCOL' kind,
is sikentky discarded. This seems to fix the pro- blem. A
new release with the fix is underway.

Although this kludge would fix the problem, it might be good to also issue and
error message to somewhere (stderr?, syslog?) so that someone in the future
who wants to handle this message would know what xforms is doing.

Is this a bug in Gnome? Sounds like it, so it should probably be sent
upstream.

                      Best regards, Jens

UBC, Vancouver,BC  |   Program in Cosmology |     address@hidden