Re: [XForms] UTF-8 support development release

From: Jens Thoms Toerring
Subject: Re: [XForms] UTF-8 support development release
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2014 21:40:32 +0200

Hi Holger,
On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 05:21:12PM +0200, address@hidden wrote:
> -flversion:
> FORMS Library Version 1.3.13
> I set the Multi_key facility at .xmodmaprc:
>
> keysym Super_L = Multi_key
>
> to input special chars like ä/ö/.. into GUI elements of libraries as
> gtk and qt for instance.
>
> Copy/Past, display and save of utf-8 encoded texts works well, as far
> as I tested the xforms fl_add_input() widget, but I had problems to use
> the Multi_key facility. It's ignored. It just prints "a.

There' still some rough edges - I'm also not sure how some
of these things work and trying to learn more about that. I'll
give the 'Multi_key' some more attention. What I've read is
that "dead keys" don't seem to work at all with input methods
(unfortunately, since I use them for a lot of the less common
characters:-(

> <later that day>
> Got ibus system running. Works fine.

At least something work;-)

But all this input stuff is still quite new to me and any
complaints, pointers to what I should read etc. will be
considered as helpful. So, if some of you have some more
experience please don't hold back with advice!

> Regards, utf-8 support is really significant.

I also think so. Actually, I've heard from, I think, Jean-Marc
Lasgouttes that there was some attempt at getting UTF-8 support
into XForms already about 10 years ago when it still was used
for LyX, but the code somehow seem to have got lost. Anyway, as
one of the first sentences in English I learned in school goes:
"Better late than never";-)

                        Best regards, Jens