Re: [XForms] Windows

From: jon
Subject: Re: [XForms] Windows
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 22:47:53 +0000

On Mon, 2014-11-17 at 23:25 +0100, Jens Thoms Toerring wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 10:00:41PM +0000, jon wrote:
> > After some swearing I managed to build my xforms application on OSX with
> > apples pretend gcc.
>
> Any problems I could do something about?
No, mostly just apple issues with paths and default includes. Nothing
broken in xforms, it worked once I convinced the pretend gcc to find the
jpeglib I installed, and the X headers ....

>  I guess their C compiler
> is clang, which I've installed but never attempted to compile
> XForms with it.
It was, good news - it works :-) !

> > I was wondering if anyone knows if I can build xforms and my application
> > using gygwin ? I have never used it, is it likely to work ?
> >
> > http://www.cygwin.com/
>
> No idea at all (I don't do Windows unless paid for the pain and
> the few times that happend I had to mess with Visual Studio;-)

> But the obvious question to me is: is all the required X stuff
> (i.e. the Xlib and its headers and perhaps more) available and,
> when you managed to compile and link it, is there an X server
> running on the Windows machine like XMing or similar (without
> which no program based on XForms will be able to run as far as
> I can see)?
"gygwin/X" comes with its own X server shim layer and best I can tell a
Posix compatibility layer. Uses mingw (native win32 gcc).

I am going to give it a go - this should be "interesting"

> OSX should be simple in comparison since it's a Unix under
> the hood, but Windows... If you manage to do that it would
> be nice if you'd document what you did and this could become
> part of the XForms documentation!
Yes, I did it - like I say it sucked a bit. I know zero about apple
stuff, I had lots of problems with compiler making stupid assumptions
about paths and includes. I had to keep stopping at making symlinks or
passing extra -I or -L directives to "gcc".

Interestingly xforms just built once I could convince it to find the
jpeg libs and X11 includes using various ./configure switches.

Thanks,

Jon