xlog-discussion

Re: 2.0.17 and deprecated GTK APIs

From: Joshua Wood
Subject: Re: 2.0.17 and deprecated GTK APIs
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2020 19:07:11 -0600

Hi,

I'm running gtk+2-2.24.32 and glib2-2.62.4 as well. It did break for me when trying to build with that combo. I ended up sed'ing -Werror out of the configure script, which was the only way I could find to make it build.

Thanks,
JK

On Fri, Feb 28, 2020, 18:57 Greg Troxel <address@hidden> wrote:
Joshua Wood <address@hidden> writes:

> Ran into the same thing on modern Slackware. GTimeVal has been deprecated
> for a while now.

Can you post what versions of gtk2 and glib2 you have?

When you build xlog against those, does it fail, and are you doing
something to let the deprecated warnings be warnings and not errors?

On my system, I have

gtk2+-2.24.32 (released 2018-01-18, but still current)
glib2-2.62.4 (released 2019-12-19)

FWIW:
  2.64.0 was released on 2020-02-27
  2.62.0 was released on 2019-09-05
  2.60.0 was released on 2019-03-04
  2.58.0 was released on 2018-09-13
  2.56.0 was released on 2018-03-12

It seems that the issue is the combination of

  gtk2+ 2.24.32 uses glib2 features that are marked deprecated

  xlog ends up turning on -Werror which together with the default of
  -wdeprecated-declarations results in a compile error

So to fix this, we need one of

  gtk2+ has a release which doesn't use deprecated glib2 features

  xlog copes with recent releases of both without erroring

  xlog changes to gtk3, because it is becoming clear that gtk2 is not
  longer maintained