Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: [AUCTeX-diffs] Changes to auctex/tex.el

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: [AUCTeX-diffs] Changes to auctex/tex.el
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 18:20:43 +0200

* Ralf Angeli (2005-04-07) writes:

> * David Kastrup (2005-04-07) writes:
>
>> Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> -(defvar TeX-output-extension "dvi"
>>> +(defvar TeX-output-extension (if TeX-PDF-mode "pdf" "dvi")
>>>    "Extension of TeX output file.
>>>  This is either a string or a list with
>>>  a string as element.  Its value is obtained from `TeX-command-output-list'.
>>
>> Uh, Ralf?  Is this sensible?  Unless I am mistaken, this just sets the
>> value at load time of tex.el.  The default should probably rather be
>> determined buffer-locally when TeX-modes get initialized.
>
> The value of `TeX-output-extension' will already be changed by the
> minor mode function `TeX-PDF-mode'.  But this function will only be
> called when the mode is toggled, not when the mode is being
> initialized.  That means, if you customized `TeX-PDF-mode' to a value
> of t and open a LaTeX file, the value of `TeX-output-extension' will
> still be "dvi".  The patch simply makes the default of
> `TeX-output-extension' correspond to the default of `TeX-PDF-mode'.

Now on second thought ... it is probably better to do it the way you
are proposing.  For people with a sensible setup it should not make a
difference because they load tex-site.el at startup, set the default
for `TeX-PDF-mode' in the init file which gets recognized upon loading
the first LaTeX file which coincides with loading tex.el.  But I've
seen it too often that people try to load latex.el in their init
files.  And if `TeX-PDF-mode' was set after this happened, testing at
load time would fail.  So it is better to do it during mode
initialization.  Thanks for reminding me.

--
Ralf