Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Anything missing for 0.9.2?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Anything missing for 0.9.2?
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 15:19:18 +0200

Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:

> * David Kastrup (2005-04-08) writes:
>
>> Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> AFAIU /usr is for the base system, i.e. mostly BSD userland as the
>>> kernel lives in /boot.  Then there is /usr/X11R6 for X and programs
>>> running on X (e.g. firefox and gkrellm executables are in
>>> /usr/X11R6/bin) and /usr/local for the majority of programs from the
>>> ports collection.
>
> There is a bit more educated information about the directory structure at
> <URL:http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/dirstructure.html>.
>
>> Pity.  Usually we don't want to overwrite systems under package
>> control.  So maybe we should go for ${prefix}...texmf-local first
>> after all.
>
> I haven't really looked at the meaning of all the variables involved,
> but what about adding '${datadir}/texmf-local' to the front of
>
> '${datadir}/texmf' "${texprefix}/share/texmf-local"
> "${texprefix}/share/texmf" "${texprefix}/texmf-local"
> "${texprefix}/texmf"
>
> ?

But I don't want a system installation for RedHat with --prefix=/usr
to go into texmf-local.  If FreeBSD Ports is incapable of providing
different trees in a consistent way for stuff under package and under
user control, there is no sense in pretending differently and breaking
all architectures that are capable of making the difference.

FreeBSD does not have different "datadir" for packages and for
site-wide installation, ok, so we are up to guessing, anyway.  And the
guess you propose then breaks the build procedures elsewhere.

> In the end texmf-local stands somewhat orthogonal to the distinction
> of /usr/local being managed by the user and /usr by the package
> management system.  In some sense, /usr/share/texmf-local is still
> under the control of package management.

Nope.  Really not.  On those systems that tend to have this directory,
it is completely under site control.  Never seen it differently
anywhere.  It gets created and searched and has its ls-R updated, but
that's it with regard to system access.