Re: [AUCTeX-devel] auto-loads.el in Makefile.in

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] auto-loads.el in Makefile.in
Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 12:08:44 +0200

Ikumi Keita <address@hidden> writes:

>> We just discussed this.  We need it (since the behavior of Emacs-22 is
>> again different), and the "error" is not permanent since we actually
>> check whether the file was created.
>
> Whether the build succeeds or not depends on the behaviour of the
> "make".

I doubt it, actually.  Make has no business splitting lines into
separate commands at semicola, and this would have been what needed to
happen to have this fail (unless the shell for some reason is given
set -e).

> On my FreeBSD-4.11 box, the system standard make stops at the error
> which Emacs 21.4 signals, so I don't get make finished.

Could it be that the FreeBSD shell interprets a sequence of commands
separated by ";" and "||" differently?  What happens if you write
SHELL=/usr/bin/bash
into the top of the Makefile (assuming that /usr/bin/bash exists)?

> I'm afraid that similar problems concerned with the behaviour of make
> can occur on other platforms without GNU make.

Definitely.  But I'd like to track this down before attempting a fix.