Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Two odd features with "new" installation procedur

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Two odd features with "new" installation procedure
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 13:43:32 +0200

* David Kastrup (2005-05-24) writes:

> All our help strings with the exception of this single one are
> formatted manually.  There is no point in having a single string
> formatted differently, actually.  Maybe we will just format everything
> with AS_HELP_STRING at some point of time, but I don't think we should
> do that right now.

Okay, with _this_ ratio of manually formatted strings to
AS_HELP_STRING there probably is not much harm done.  I thought we
would use this more extensively.

> It would also be impolite to demand more recent versions than what is
> currently provided by MSYS, Cygwin and, well.  Uhm.  Woody.  Ok,
> people will need backported Emacsen for that to work with our sources,
> anyway, and so a backported autoconf would not seem all that bad...

I don't know if MSYS even comes with autoconf but as far as I
understand the MinGW web site, MinGW includes autoconf 2.59
(<URL:http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2435>).
The same is true for Cygwin
(<URL:http://cygwin.com/packages/autoconf/>).  And for woody (you are
considering this seriously?) there is a backport:
<URL:http://www.backports.org/debian/dists/stable/autoconf/binary-i386/>.
So outdated versions on these environments aren't really an argument.

> By the way: does anyone object if I replace the initial #!/bin/sh line
> in install-sh and mkinstalldirs with just : ?  The scripts get called
> from the Makefile (which requires a Bourne shell) anyway, and there is
> so much that can go wrong with #!/bin/sh...  Like there being no
> executable /bin/sh, or there being no executable /bin/sh^M, or a
> number of different things.

Have we had problems with this?  I briefly followed the discussion
about line endings emacs-devel and must say that I find it ridiculous
that line endings can be replaced during a CVS checkout.  I mean,
that's a problem of the CVS client, right?

--
Ralf