Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Two odd features with "new" installation procedur

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Two odd features with "new" installation procedure
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 15:31:58 +0200

Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:

> * David Kastrup (2005-05-24) writes:
>
>> The bug reports don't suggest that.  If we get the Perl script to
>> output consistent results regardless of the input, I think we ought
>> to be able to get away without warning about any end-of-line
>> conversion problems.  I don't think we have any binary files in our
>> distribution at the moment (the icon image files are all text).
>
> What about rewriting the Perl script in Elisp?  Emacs should be able
> to deal with differing line endings.

Non-MULE XEmacs does not get along much better, I think.

Not needing Perl for installation would, of course, be a benefit to
us.  The disadvantage is that the Perl script is some example of how
one could in a more general way convert .dtx to .texi, and people are
more likely to pick it up in Perl.  But maybe Emacs is a saner build
requirement for creating .texi, anyway.