[AUCTeX-devel] Re: [Bug-AUCTeX] tex-5.502; TeX-command-list - renaming m

From: David Kastrup
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: [Bug-AUCTeX] tex-5.502; TeX-command-list - renaming menu entries
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 13:14:43 +0200

David Reitter <address@hidden> writes:

> I've configured my TeX-command-list to show me a nicely structured
> menu, and while doing so I've renamed menu entries. For example, I
> have renamed "View" to "View PS",

Wow.  So you use "View PS" to view PDF files.  Talk about intuitive
changes.

> and "LaTeX" to "Compile with LaTeX".
>
> The issue occurs when I then do C-c C-c and accept the default
> command. If it is "LaTeX" or "View", it'll fail with a "wrong type
> argument" error. (Originally reported by Robert Sloan on the Emacs /
> Aquamacs-bugs mailing lists.)

Well, no surprise here.  If you want to play games with the menu
names, you should probably do it at a different point of the code,
where the menus get created from TeX-command-list.

But the menu entries are supposed to give a clue about what to do with
C-c C-c too, so you should likely rather tamper with the help strings
than the menu entries.

> The reason for the given behavior is that you do a string-match over
> the command list, and you try to match a hard-coded string such as
> "View" with the menu entries. That has to fail when TeX-command-list
> is customized.

But I don't want people to have to type
C-c C-c Compile RET
instead of the previous C-c C-c L RET.  The commands right now can be
given a single letter, and "Compile" conflicts with "Check".

> This could be easily fixed by making the default actions
> customizable.
>
> Naming the commands with a symbol and looking it up (handling error
> cases where they can't be found because user has removed them from
> the menu) is another option, but I suppose you don't want to break
> compatibility with earlier versions!

I don't see the point of breaking the user interface completely.

This certainly does not count as a bug in AUCTeX, so I am redirecting
copies to auctex-devel instead.