[AUCTeX-devel] Re: Succesful AUCTeX installation for MS Win XP

From: David Kastrup
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Succesful AUCTeX installation for MS Win XP
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 17:16:58 +0200

Grzegorz <address@hidden> writes:

> Dear Mr. Kastrup,
> I would like to thank you and other Authors of AUCTeX for such a
> sophisticated tool.

Well, so that the others may benefit from your praise, I am taking the
liberty of forwarding this to the developer list.

> Last week I succesfully installed it with Gnu Emacs under MS Windows XP.
> I already had had TeX and Gnu Emacs installed (TeXLive 2003, Emacs 21.3).
> Then I underwent steps of the "AUCTeX version 11.55" manual section
> "Installation under MS Windows",
>
> and then
> the installation only needed a little touch in 'tex-site' file: I
> replaced full paths 'C:\Documents and settings...' with '~/' and it
> started to work!

While this may seem like nothing to do you, it may constitute a large
hurdle for somebody else.  The installation procedure is not supposed
to leave non-working paths in tex-site.el: we are taking large pains
so that Windows-typical paths work correctly.  If we fail doing that
somewhere, we would want to fix this.

Can you remember or reproduce the exact way you called configure, and
could you post the resulting tex-site.el and, if possible, say what
exactly was the problem with the path the installation procedure put
there?

This would be very appreciated.

Thanks,