[AUCTeX-devel] Re: [Bug-AUCTeX] Math mode bug

From: David Kastrup
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: [Bug-AUCTeX] Math mode bug
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2005 23:09:49 +0200

"Sanyi Benczik" <address@hidden> writes:

> When using AucTex the following bug occurs. Take for example the following
> input file:
>
> \documentclass{article}
> \begin{document}
> ... Some text...
>
> %\begin{align} Note the comment sign!
>
> %try to insert $ above this line
> %\end{align}
> \end{document}
>
> If I try to insert a $ sign in the space above I get "Math mode because of
> `align' . Use C-q $ to force a $ sign".
> But as the \begin{align} is commented out, I am NOT in math mode!
>
> This is a rather annoying bug. When deciding on the final form of a formula
> I frequently switch back and forth between different math environments
> (align, split, $$ $$, eqnarray).

$$ $$ is not a valid LaTeX environment.

> When doing so, I comment out the most recent one, because I might
> revert to it later. However AucTex asks me either to delete it
> completely, or makes me force-insert every $ sign later in the
> source. This is definitely not a good thing.
>
> Using Auctex 11.81 with MikTex under Windows 2000 running MSys, but I
> strongly suspect it appears one every platform.

I think we are way too concerned with $ anyway.  If $ is not
"appropriate", we should just insert it anyway, maybe with a warning.
And I think we should _definitely_ stop the $$ doubling stuff in LaTeX
mode: it just helps people to produce invalid LaTeX.  For plain TeX,
it is of course appriate, and for ConTeXt I don't have a clue.

Followups directed to auctex-devel, since this is something that
concerns developers mostly.