[AUCTeX-devel] Re: Future AUCTeX distribution

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Future AUCTeX distribution
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 18:44:15 +0900

    Uwe> It is most unfortunate that xemacs, ui, pui does not manage
    Uwe> 3rd party pkg, as does dkpg and rpm.

Nope, it has nothing to do with "fortune"---it's by design.  pui is
about helping XEmacs volunteers provide consistent support for
packages we distribute.

The burden of being pui-compatible on most 3rd parties is either 100MB
of disk space for the package tree and a few minutes to update CVS
before distributing a new binary package, or less than 100KB of space
and at most a couple hours figuring out how to get all the
infrastructure into the right place relative to your source.  If
somebody wanted to get this right and make it more convenient, I'm
sure XEmacs people would be willing to help with it, but 3rd party
developers and users prefer to wait for somebody else to do it.

This is all irrelevant to AUCTeX; AUCTeX is not "most 3rd parties", or
at least it wasn't in the last public release.  If it's now possible
to release a binary package of AUCTeX, then things have changed a lot.

Nevertheless, I don't think it's appropriate to put a package built by
a non-XEmacs process into our FTP site; that would implicitly be a
promise that it will interact correctly with our tools, and would
require us to keep track of whether that package continued to work
with any future changes in the package infrastructure.  That's not our
job IMO.