[AUCTeX-devel] Re: Package coverage...

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Package coverage...
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 09:59:56 +0100

* David Kastrup (2006-01-16) writes:

> If we announce stuff, bumping the versions to 11.83 might be the most
> consistent way.

In my opinion it would not be necessary to bump the version number
just for new distribution packages.

> OTOH, providing the stuff for 11.82 without big
> announcements will give us some leeway to have people test it before
> we make a big blunder.

Yep.

>> Huh?  Is the next release round the corner?
>
> Isn't it always?

Only if you expect the next big bug warranting a new release to be
round the corner as well.

> More specifically: I have just handed in abstracts
> for the Chemnitzer Linuxtage (a seriously great conference I've been
> visiting for years on end) and the Dante-Tagung in Berlin, both at the
> beginning of March.

Then we should try to get some features done before that.  Currently
there haven't been enough changes to warrant a new release.  I am
thinking about the style system changes and the functionality for
accessing TeX-related documentation.

By the way, yesterday I had the idea to use the information from the
parser to find the LaTeX package a certain command belongs to and use
that to open the corresponding documentation.  Not as good as a real
command database with included documentation, but helpful anyway.

> I also had to update my father's RedHat box for
> PDF creation and it was somewhat embarrassing that 11.55+0.9.1 was the
> newest usable stuff available.  11.81 without preview-latex would have
> been simply unacceptable.  And I did not want to mess with /usr/local
> for now.

Maybe use checkinstall?

--
Ralf