[AUCTeX-devel] Re: Package coverage...

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Package coverage...
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 00:08:24 +0100

* David Kastrup (2006-01-16) writes:

> Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> By the way, yesterday I had the idea to use the information from the
>> parser to find the LaTeX package a certain command belongs to and
>> use that to open the corresponding documentation.  Not as good as a
>> real command database with included documentation, but helpful
>> anyway.
>
> But the parsed information is only available once all style files have
> been loaded.  I don't think we'll get around saving this information
> separately.

I guess you are right that reusing this stuff is too inefficient.
Bummer.  Maybe we can at least use the existing parsing mechanisms
with a special regexp for storing the information.

For lookup and storage we could use a hashtable with the macros as
keys.  Is it sensible to read this information into memory at once and
keep it there or should we rather aim for a solution where we read
necessary information from disk once a lookup occurs and free the
memory afterwards again?  Hm, maybe I should just generate such a
hashtable and look how big it is before asking such a question ...

> Once we do, it would make sense to load it when C-c RET or C-c C-e are
> used to enter an unknown command/environment, check whether it is in
> the database, and offer to place the respective \usepackage into the
> preamble.

Yes, that would be a nice surplus.

--
Ralf