[AUCTeX-devel] Re: [AUCTeX] Re: TeX-insert-punctuation and TeX-error-mes

From: Masayuki Ataka
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: [AUCTeX] Re: TeX-insert-punctuation and TeX-error-messages
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 11:55:26 +0900 (JST)

From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 21:17:17 +0100

> > # Maybe, we should brush up TeX-error-messages for LaTeX2e...
>
> Definitely.  But that's going to be a piece of work if you want to
> catch everything.

I checked what I posted before.

> a. The entry of `counter too large' is duplicated.

Combined.

> b. No `doucmentclass' (only `documentstyle').

Changed.
documentstyle -> documentstyle or documentclass

> c. `Missing \\$ inserted'...

Change

  ...Remember that unless stated otherwise, all the commands of
  Section can be used only in math mode...

  ...Remember that unless stated otherwise, all the commands of
  Section 3.3 in LaTeX Book (Lamport) can be used only in math
  mode...

See the patch below for detail.
If no objection, I'll commit this.

regards,
---
email: address@hidden
Name:: Masayuki Ataka // (Japan)

*** tex-buf.el  28  1 2006 21:46:18 +0900       1.244
--- tex-buf.el  05  2 2006 16:46:16 +0900
***************
*** 1631,1639 ****
      ("Can be used only in preamble." .
  "LaTeX has encountered, after the \\begin{document}, one of the
  following commands that should appear only in the preamble:
! \\documentstyle, \\nofiles, \\includeonly, \\makeindex, or
! \\makeglossary.  The error is also caused by an extra \\begin{document}
! command.")

      ("Command name [^ ]* already used.*" .
  "You are using \\newcommand, \\newenvironment, \\newlength, \\newsavebox,
--- 1631,1639 ----
      ("Can be used only in preamble." .
  "LaTeX has encountered, after the \\begin{document}, one of the
  following commands that should appear only in the preamble:
! \\documentstyle, \\documentclass, \\nofiles, \\includeonly, \\makeindex,
! or \\makeglossary.  The error is also caused by an extra
! \\begin{document} command.")

      ("Command name [^ ]* already used.*" .
  "You are using \\newcommand, \\newenvironment, \\newlength, \\newsavebox,
***************
*** 1644,1652 ****
  \\newcommand or \\newenvironment, switch to the \\renew ...  command.")

      ("Counter too large." .
! "Some object that is numbered with letters, probably an item in a
  enumerated list, has received a number greater than 26. Either you're
! making a very long list or you've been resetting counter values.")

      ("Environment [^ ]* undefined." .
  "LaTeX has encountered a \\begin command for a nonexistent environment.
--- 1644,1656 ----
  \\newcommand or \\newenvironment, switch to the \\renew ...  command.")

      ("Counter too large." .
! "1. Some object that is numbered with letters, probably an item in a
  enumerated list, has received a number greater than 26. Either you're
! making a very long list or you've been resetting counter values.
!
! 2. Footnotes are being ``numbered'' with letters or footnote symbols
! and LaTeX has run out of letters or symbols. This is probably caused
! by too many \\thanks commands.")

      ("Environment [^ ]* undefined." .
  "LaTeX has encountered a \\begin command for a nonexistent environment.
***************
*** 1748,1758 ****
  "A \\< command appears in the middle of a line in a tabbing environment.
  This command should come only at the beginning of a line.")

-     ("Counter too large." .
- "Footnotes are being ``numbered'' with letters or footnote symbols and
- LaTeX has run out of letters or symbols. This is probably caused by
- too many \\thanks commands.")
-
      ("Double subscript." .
  "There are two subscripts in a row in a mathematical
  formula---something like x_{2}_{3}, which makes no sense.")
--- 1752,1757 ----
***************
*** 1830,1839 ****
      ("Missing \\$ inserted." .
  "TeX probably found a command that can be used only in math mode when
  it wasn't in math mode.  Remember that unless stated otherwise, all
! the commands of Section can be used only in math mode. TeX is not in
! math mode when it begins processing the argument of a box-making
! command, even if that command is inside a math environment. This error
! also occurs if TeX encounters a blank line when it is in math mode.")

      ("Not a letter." .
  "Something appears in the argument of a \\hyphenation command that
--- 1829,1839 ----
      ("Missing \\$ inserted." .
  "TeX probably found a command that can be used only in math mode when
  it wasn't in math mode.  Remember that unless stated otherwise, all
! all the commands of Section 3.3 in LaTeX Book (Lamport) can be used
! only in math mode. TeX is not in math mode when it begins processing
! the argument of a box-making command, even if that command is inside a
! math environment. This error also occurs if TeX encounters a blank
! line when it is in math mode.")

      ("Not a letter." .
  "Something appears in the argument of a \\hyphenation command that
***************
*** 1970,1976 ****
  the command is probably in the wrong place---for example, the error
  can be produced by an \\item command that's not inside a list-making
  environment. The error can also be caused by a missing \\documentstyle
! command.")

      ("Use of [^ ]* doesn't match its definition." .
  "It's probably one of the picture-drawing commands, and you have used
--- 1970,1976 ----
  the command is probably in the wrong place---for example, the error
  can be produced by an \\item command that's not inside a list-making
  environment. The error can also be caused by a missing \\documentstyle
! or \\documentclass command.")