Re: [AUCTeX-devel] preview-latex coding problem

From: Masayuki Ataka
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] preview-latex coding problem
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 15:51:33 +0900 (JST)

From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 12:12:17 +0100

> Masayuki Ataka <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Ikumi-San reported me that preview-latex put preview-image in
> > wrong place, if the buffer coding system is different from process
> > coding system (Hmm, Japanese have 3 coding system Xp).
> >
> > He sent me a patch below.
> > This patch works fine with Japanese document.
> > I want to know this works fine with document in European languages.
> > If ok, I will commit.
>
> This seems wrong.  Why would the process encoding system from a
> Japanese buffer differ from the file encoding used in the buffer from
> which the compilation got started?

Yes.  This seems wrong.  This is a trick to compile one TeX
source without encoding conversion between Unix and Windows in
Japanese.

> How can the error output from the process be in an encoding different
> from what actually is in the TeX file?
>
> I don't get it.  Maybe because I don't know enough about Japanese TeX
> variants.  Can you tell us some details?

Okay.  I will write about the trick.

Japanese have 3 encodings: EUC, SJIS, and iso-2022-jp.  SJIS is
mainly used in Windows, and EUC is used in UNIX.  platex
command in Windows basically does not understand EUC encoded
file, but works with SJIS and iso-2022-jp files.  On the other
hand, platex in UNIX understand no SJIS but EUC and iso-2022-jp
files.  So, if one want to edit a TeX source both in UNIX and
Windows without converting encode, iso-2022-jp file is only
choice.  This is a trick!

The encoding of the message from platex is fixed in SJIS if the
platform is Windows.  So preview-latex put a image in wrong
place because preview-latex expect its coding iso-2022-jp by
the file encoding if such a trick is used. (Read SJIS as EUC,
when the platform is UNIX)

Ikumi's patch tell preview-latex which encoding is used from
TeX-japanese-process-input-coding-system.

regards,
---
email: address@hidden
Name:: Masayuki Ataka // (Japan)