[AUCTeX-devel] Re: RPMs for 11.83

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: RPMs for 11.83
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 18:19:55 +0200

On Mon, Jun 05 2006, Reiner Steib wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 05 2006, David Kastrup wrote:
>
>> Apropos RELEASE file: I still want to mention there that we have
>> RPMs and XEmacs package available.  Reiner, what RPMs will we
>> exactly provide?
>
> auctex-emacs-11.83-0.suse.noarch.rpm
> auctex-11.83-0.suse.src.rpm
>
>> And it is expected that the "Suse" source RPM will build fine on
>> Fedora, right?  As would the tarball, right?
>
> Probably.  But I don't have access to a Fedora system (I'm unable to
> login to sourceforge's compile farm anymore) so I can't verify.

I noticed that shell.sourceforge runs FC 2.  I was able to build
src.rpm and .rpm there (with test-11.83 files from yesterday, but that
shouldn't matter):

$ rpmbuild --rebuild *.suse.src.rpm
-> auctex-emacs-11.83-0.fedora.noarch.rpm

$ rpmbuild -ta auctex-11.83.tar.gz
-> auctex-emacs-11.83-0.fedora.noarch.rpm
-> auctex-11.83-0.fedora.src.rpm

As I ain't root there, I can't install, but "rpm --test -i ..."
doesn't give errors.

If we decided to offer these on gnu.org as well, I could use "rpm
--resign" to add a signature, but I don't want to upload my gnupg
secring to sourceforge to use "rpmbuild --sign ...".

If we do, we might adjust RELEASE as follows (feel free to improve):

AUCTeX can be downloaded in various formats from
<URL:ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/auctex/>.  At release time, we provide the
source tarball, source and binary RPMs for Emacs under Fedora and SUSE, and a
platform-independent XEmacs package file.  Also check the footnotes for
versions of Emacs already including AUCTeX.

RPMs with minor version 1 are built from the spec file in the tarball which
should work on both SUSE as well as Fedora.  The source RPMs should also work
for rebuilding RPMs on other RPM-based distributions.  (We have not tested any
other distributions beside SUSE though.)

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)