Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: An idea about a change:

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: An idea about a change:
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 22:47:41 +0200

Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:

> * David Kastrup (2006-08-07) writes:
>
>> Windows shells have their ways with quotes, Unix shells another one.
>
> I know, but we managed to cope with that in our config scripts, for
> example.

Not at all.  The config shells require a Bourne shell and certainly
won't work with cmd.exe.

>> "\input{whatever.tex}"
>>
>> goes through on either.  But I believe that Windows would require
>>
>> "\input{"whatever.tex"}"
>>
>> while Unix would require
>>
>> "\input{\"whatever.tex\"}"
>>
>> In short, we'd be out of the common denominator (and we can't just
>> decide based on OS since some people use bash under Windows, anyway).
>> Anybody with cmd.exe who wants to try this out?
>
> Awww, you made me boot Windows.  And I was having so much fun
> compiling stuff on FreeBSD.  Where else do you get such a high
> utilization for your CPU?  And can fry some eggs while waiting for it
> to finish.
>
> Anyway, none the strings mentioned above work here:
>
>>latex "\input{"foo bar.tex"}"
> This is e-TeX, Version 3.141592-2.2 (MiKTeX 2.4)
> entering extended mode
> LaTeX2e <2005/12/01>
> Babel <v3.8g> and hyphenation patterns for english, dumylang, nohyphenation,
> ge
> rman, ngerman, french, loaded.
>
> ! LaTeX Error: Missing \begin{document}.
>
> See the LaTeX manual or LaTeX Companion for explanation.
> Type  H <return>  for immediate help.
>
> <*> \input{foo bar.tex}
>
> ? x
> No pages of output.

Is this really cmd.exe?

>>latex "\input{\"foo bar.tex\"}"
> This is e-TeX, Version 3.141592-2.2 (MiKTeX 2.4)
> entering extended mode
> LaTeX2e <2005/12/01>
> Babel <v3.8g> and hyphenation patterns for english, dumylang, nohyphenation,
> ge
> rman, ngerman, french, loaded.
> (foo bar.tex (C:\Programme\MikTeX\texmf\tex\latex\base\article.cls
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Document Class: article 2005/09/16 v1.4f Standard LaTeX document class
> (C:\Programme\MikTeX\texmf\tex\latex\base\size10.clo))
> (C:\Programme\MikTeX\texmf\tex\generic\babel\babel.sty
> (C:\Programme\MikTeX\texmf\tex\generic\babel\germanb.ldf
> (C:\Programme\MikTeX\texmf\tex\generic\babel\babel.def)))
> (C:\Programme\MikTeX\texmf\tex\latex\base\fontenc.sty
> (C:\Programme\MikTeX\texmf\tex\latex\base\t1enc.def))
> (C:\Programme\MikTeX\texmf\tex\latex\base\inputenc.sty
> (C:\Programme\MikTeX\texmf\tex\latex\base\latin1.def))
> (C:\Programme\MikTeX\localtexmf\tex\latex\preview\preview.sty
> (C:\Programme\MikTeX\localtexmf\tex\latex\preview\prshowlabels.def))
>
> ! LaTeX Error: Missing \begin{document}.
>
> See the LaTeX manual or LaTeX Companion for explanation.
> Type  H <return>  for immediate help.
>
> l.36 \begin{document}
>
> ? x
> No pages of output.
> Transcript written on "foo bar.log".

This actually looks fine, except that it is missing \begin{document}
at \begin{document}.  Are you sure that the contents of "foo bar.tex"
are fine?  Or does the thing have problems opening \jobname.aux?

What does \message{\jobname} report?  And is this different when
calling

latex "foo bar"

?

Looks like the treatment of " is more similar than I thought.  Is this
really cmd.exe?  Maybe I am confusing its behavior with that of
command.com...