Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: User interface problem.

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: User interface problem.
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 21:09:49 +0100

Reiner Steib <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wed, Nov 15 2006, Ralf Angeli wrote:
>
>> * David Kastrup (2006-11-15) writes:
>>
>>> (or (mailcap-mime-info "application/pdf" "print")
>>>     (mailcap-mime-info "application/pdf"))
>>>
>>> to figure out what to use for printing PDF files?
>
> I.e. your are thinking about something similar to
> `TeX-output-view-style' for printing?

I don't see that anything else would make sense.  When people having
compiled a PDFTeX document say "Print", they won't expect that this
will not work at all.

>> I'm not sure if I like the second part of it.  After all we already
>> have a View command.  But it's probably what the user did manually
>> anyway if she received a message that printing did not work.  So,
>> okay.
>>
>> I'm quite unfamiliar with gs, but couldn't we use that for sending
>> something useful to lpr?
>
> Of course you can convert PDF to PostScript via gs (if available)
> and send this to lpr.  But this would rather be done in the lpr
> configuration.  At least on modern GNU/Linux systems, I'd expect
> "lpr file.pdf" to work.

AUCTeX is not just for modern GNU/Linux systems.

> BTW, my colleagues use XDvi's "File/Print" menu and they didn't even
> know about "Command/Print" in AUCTeX.  As XDvi (gv too) allows to
> print marked pages, it's often more convenient than "Command/Print"
> in AUCTeX.

Frankly, I'd very much prefer if we could junk all of tex-mik.el and
fptex.el und have the defaults figured out from the "file
associations" or mailcap and so on.

We'd still need to have most TeX executables in the PATH, but that is
a comparatively small price to pay.