Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Maintainer wanted for RefTeX

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Maintainer wanted for RefTeX
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 01:17:11 +0100

* Reiner Steib (2006-12-26) writes:

> On Mon, Dec 25 2006, Ralf Angeli wrote:
>
>> In that case I'd just go ahead and import that into AUCTeX's CVS
>> repository as is and then we can start hacking on it.
>
> Shouldn't we keep at least the CVS history from Savannah [1],
> i.e. Emacs CVS.

That's the history of RefTeX's incarnation in Emacs' CVS repository,
not the history of the original distribution.  It might serve as an
approximation for the real history.  If it's simple to include it in
AUCTeX's repository, I won't object using it.

> AFAICS, emacs/lisp/textmodes/reftex.el,v goes back to
> 1997.  If reftex-alpha.tar.gz is newer, we should *merge* (not
> overwrite) the corresponding changes into the Emacs CVS files.  We
> should be careful not to lose any changes done in Emacs CVS.

Yeah, I know.  An easy solution would have been to disallow changes in
Emacs' CVS repository and just check in new releases once they are
out.  But if bugs are fixed in Emacs' CVS repository that's actually
an advantage because then we don't have to take care of them. (c:  So
we should probably ask Miles if he can set up some synchronization
machinery.  At least from Emacs' repository to the one of AUCTeX.

I'd like RefTeX to have its own ChangeLog file.  But that will
probably not match very well with the current situation where the file
in Emacs' `lisp' directory is used.  Perhaps RefTeX could get its own
directory in Emacs.

> That aside, shouldn't we ask on emacs-devel before kind-of taking out
> a part of Emacs?

As far as I am concerned RefTeX will keep its incarnation in Emacs'
CVS repository.  But once we've sorted out what we can on our own,
it's certainly a good idea to discuss outstanding questions on
emacs-devel.

--
Ralf