[AUCTeX-devel] Re: Changes in font locking

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Changes in font locking
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 00:01:19 +0100

On Sun, Mar 11 2007, Ralf Angeli wrote:

> That's due to a bug in XEmacs 21.5 related to the function
> `with-syntax-table' I reported over two years ago to the XEmacs
> project.  See <URL:http://mid.gmane.org/cp7323$qm7$1%40sea.gmane.org>.
> Unfortunately they don't seem to care about such bug reports or don't
> have the manpower to fix these bugs.  We are using `with-syntax-table'
> at several places, so I'm not sure if I can code around it in a
> sensible way.

Gnus also suffers from this (or a similar?) problem.  In
`dgnushack.el' there's a workaround (used when compiling Gnus), see
below.  But you need to compile and run with XEmacs 21.5, IIRC.

The first two URL point to a threads from February/March 2004.
Unfortunately, even after providing simple test cases without Gnus
specific code, the only reactions on XEmacs' side were »"Gnus doesn't
work, so it's a syntax table bug in XEmacs" is not worth investigating
for me, [...]« and »No sane person expects anything related to Gnus to
be deterministic.«.  :-(

;; Work around for an incompatibility (XEmacs 21.4 vs. 21.5), see the
;; following threads:
;;
;; http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/56414
;; Subject: attachment problems found but not fixed
;;
;; http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/56459
;; Subject: Splitting mail -- XEmacs 21.4 vs 21.5
;;
;; http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.xemacs.beta/20519
;; Subject: XEmacs 21.5 and Gnus fancy splitting.
(when (and (featurep 'xemacs)
           (let ((table (copy-syntax-table emacs-lisp-mode-syntax-table)))
             (modify-syntax-entry ?= " " table)
             (with-temp-buffer
               (with-syntax-table table
                 (insert "foo=bar")
                 (goto-char (point-min))
                 (forward-sexp 1)
                 (eolp)))))
  ;; The original `with-syntax-table' uses `copy-syntax-table' which
  ;; doesn't seem to copy modified syntax entries in XEmacs 21.5.
  (defmacro with-syntax-table (syntab &rest body)
    "Evaluate BODY with the SYNTAB as the current syntax table."
    `(let ((stab (syntax-table)))
       (unwind-protect
           (progn
             ;;(set-syntax-table (copy-syntax-table ,syntab))
             (set-syntax-table ,syntab)
             ,@body)
         (set-syntax-table stab)))))

Bye, Reiner.