[AUCTeX-devel] Re: [Bug-AUCTeX] 11.83; encoding problems in RefTeX's .re

From: Frank Küster
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: [Bug-AUCTeX] 11.83; encoding problems in RefTeX's .rel files
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 21:56:50 +0100

Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> wrote:

>> **********************
>> ;; RefTeX parse info file
>> ;; File: /home/frank/Privat/Krawattenknoten.tex
>> ;; User: frank (Frank Küster)

[...]
> Is the above the buffer content when you are being asked for the
> coding system or is it the resulting file content after you chose a
> coding system and saved the buffer?

When (and probably before) I am being asked.  And also after saving in
iso-latin-1, it doesn't change.

reftex.el contains:

              (insert (format ";; RefTeX parse info file\n"))
              (insert (format ";; File: %s\n" master))
              (insert (format ";; User: %s (%s)\n\n"
                              (user-login-name) (user-full-name)))

,----[ C-h v user-full-name RET ]
| user-full-name is a variable defined in `C source code'.
| Its value is
| "Frank K\303\274ster"
|

| Documentation:
| The full name of the user logged in.
|
| You can customize this variable.
`----

So this looks like a bug in emacs.  By the way, that's the same in
Debian's emacs_21.4.3 and in

,----[ C-h v emacs-version RET ]
| emacs-version is a variable defined in `version.el'.
| Its value is "22.0.94.1"
|

| Documentation:
| Version numbers of this version of Emacs.
|
| [back]
`----

/etc/passwd is in utf-8, and I must say that although Debian etch claims
to be utf-8-ready, most of my X terminals aren't able to "cat
/etc/passwd" properly; konsole (kde terminal) can do it only after I
manually switch the encoding.

Regards, Frank
--
Dr. Frank Küster